On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 02:25:08PM -0800, Zach Brown ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Hi guys,

Hello Zach.

> I'm hearing noise about the 'Extended Sockets' API in Oracle.  It's an
> extension to the socket API put together by an industry group that calls
> itself the Interconnect Software Consortium and is working in
> partnership with the open group.  The API adds support for things like
> memory registration, async operations completed through event queues,
> "standard" sendfile() and async poll(), etc.
>
> It's freely downloadable as a PDF from
>
>  http://www.opengroup.org/icsc/doc.tpl?CALLER=index.tpl&gdid=6415
>
> Page 7 has a list of contributors that seems to have a glaring lack of
> "free" unix representation of any kind :(
>
> It seems certain that the commercial Unix vendors will adopt pieces of
> it in some capacity.  Which means Oracle guys will want to play with it.
>  Which means I'll get questions about supporting it in Linux :)
>
> Has the netdev world developed an opinion about this stuff?

There are some stuff already implemented and presented in netdev@,
unfortunately it did not get much attention and feedback.

Queue of events used for socket operations:
http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/old/?section=projects&item=kevent
http://lwn.net/Articles/171317/
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-netdev&m=113949344414464&w=2

Network AIO operations:
http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/old/?section=projects&item=naio
sending support:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-netdev&m=113992502032729&w=2
receiving support:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-netdev&m=113949344426019&w=2

Sending zero-copy is supported from ... it was added very long ago.
Receiving zero-copy requires special hardware, which can split protocol
header from data. Some work can be found at:
http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/old/?section=projects&item=recv_zero_copy
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-netdev&m=113465769816658&w=2

So, while commercial Unix vendors create rocket-science-capable API,
Linux just implements the core.

--
        Evgeniy Polyakov