I have taken linux-kernel off the list.

Russell's site is inaccessible to me (I actually think this is related
to some DNS issues i may be having) and your masters is too long to
spend 2 minutes and glean it; so heres a question or two for you:

- Have you tried to do a long-lived session such as a large FTP and
seen how far off the deviation was? That would provide some interesting
data point.
- To be a devil's advocate (and not claim there is no issue), where do
you draw the line with "overhead"?
Example the smallest ethernet packet is 64 bytes of which 14 bytes are
ethernet headers ("overhead" for IP) - and this is not counting CRC etc.
If you were to set an MTU of say 64 bytes and tried to do a http or ftp,
how accurate do you think the calculation would be? I would think not
very different.
Does it matter if it is accurate on the majority of the cases?
- For further reflection: Have you considered the case where the rate
table has already been considered on some link speed in user space and
then somewhere post-config the physical link speed changes? This would
happen in the case where ethernet AN is involved and the partner makes
some changes (use ethtool).

I would say the last bullet is a more interesting problem than a corner
case of some link layer technology that has high overhead.
Your work would be more interesting if it was generic for many link
layers instead of just ATM.

cheers,
jamal