On 02/03/2016 03:32 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

But why check for valid value at all. At some point in the
future, there will be yet another speed adopted by some standard body
and the switch statement would need another value.

Why not accept any value? This is a virtual device.

And even for not-quite-virtual devices - such as a VC/FlexNIC in an HPE blade server there can be just about any speed set. I think we went down a path of patching some things to address that many years ago. It would be a shame to undo that.

rick