On 02/04/2016 04:47 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 03:49:04PM -0800, Rick Jones wrote:
And even for not-quite-virtual devices - such as a VC/FlexNIC in an HPE
blade server there can be just about any speed set.  I think we went down a
path of patching some things to address that many years ago.  It would be a
shame to undo that.

rick

I'm not sure I understand. The question is in defining the UAPI.
We currently have:

  * @speed: Low bits of the speed
  * @speed_hi: Hi bits of the speed

with the assumption that all values come from the defines.

So if we allow any value here we need to define what it means.

I may be mixing apples and kiwis. Many years ago when HP came-out with their blades and VirtualConnect, they included the ability to create "flex NICs" - "sub-NICs" out of a given interface port on a blade, and to assign each a specific bitrate in increments (IIRC) of 100 Mbit/s. This was reported up through the driver and it became necessary to make ethtool (again, IIRC) not so picky about "valid" speed values.

rick