On Fri, Aug 07, 2015 at 10:40:06AM -0400, Rob Shakir wrote:

> Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
> >I assume you mean<datastore, path>  instead of<RPC-call, path>.
> >
> >/js
> Hi Juergen,
>
> Generically, the intent here is express that it is '<some-access-method,
> path>' rather than merely 'path'. The 'some-access-method' might be a
> reference to a particular datastore, or a certain operation within the
> access protocol (GET vs. GET-OPER maybe).

Configuration data resides in configuration datastores. This is quite
deeply wired in the NETCONF and YANG specifications.

For operations on the configuration datastores, the datastore name is
passed as an argument in RPC calls. Hence, for configuration data, the
naming model is <datastore, path>.

There have been many discussions over the years whether there should
be an explicitly named operational datastore since architecturally we
treat operational data somewhat differently. Some of this is hinted
at in section 4.3.3 of RFC 6244 and you can find also various I-Ds
that were posted in this context.

But you are right, it is not just the path that is needed to identify
data residing in configuration datastores. It is in general a tuple
<selector, path> and for configuration data the selector is a
configuration datastore name.