Martin,

To be clear -- I'm not proposing any changes to YANG or NETCONF. I was merely trying to write down the discussion that we had on one of the interims about ways that 'datastores' may be considered by some implementations, particularly as this view can mean that they might be able to ignore them - based on the current ones that are implemented.

Martin Bjorklund wrote:
Even if we had the four separate datastores 'startup', 'running',
'candidate', and 'applied', it is not entirely clear to me why the
datastore would have to be carried together with the path internally
all the time.  (We do not carry the current datastores in our system
today).   Maybe this is an implementation issue?
Sure, it does not have to be carried all the time, but is /is/ required in some cases. If one wants a standardised 'path' format to be passed between systems then there's going to need to be space for the 'datastore' to be carried in path references that are handed about (even if there is a 'default' datastore). I, for one, would find it messy if there needs to be context specific ways of handling what a path looks like.

I find the fact that there can be ambiguity for a certain path something that is quite different from all other systems, and hence consider it to be suboptimal when compared to having a unique path to a particular set of data. Having a path that can result in different values being returned seems fragile.

Best,
r.