> On Aug 27, 2015:1:59 PM, at 1:59 PM, Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Rob Shakir <r...@rob.sh
> <mailto:r...@rob.sh>> wrote:
>
> Andy,
>
> Apologies, I don’t understand how your mail answers the questions that I
> posed.
>
> On August 27, 2015 at 12:25:20, Andy Bierman (a...@yumaworks.com
> <mailto:a...@yumaworks.com>) wrote:
>
>> A whole lots of words here, but I am still confused why /device is better
>> than /
>> for solving your "data model awareness" problem.
>
> Please re-read my email - here’s the single statement where I said that this
> was NOT the discussion that I think is important:
>
>> It strikes me that there is a need to take a step back from the debate of
>> whether /device is a good idea or not.
>>

> I’m not sure how this could be clearer.
>

> Sorry -- are you suggesting that maybe /device adds no value beyond /?
> If so, I agree.
>

>> YANG is no different than any other part of the source code.
>> Reusable YANG is just as likely or unlikely as reusable C,
>> depending on how aware people are of the existing code base.
>>
>> Which OAM? Read the modules and decide. No magic there.
>> How would /device vs / (as the first node) help you figure this out?
>>
>> Nobody is objecting at all to creating structure for the new modules.
>> If /device has siblings, then let's see them in the uber-tree.
>> The objection is to adding in a useless layer, and moving existing
>> data nodes, which breaks existing implementations of all those data nodes.
>
> Please suggest an alternate approach to the one that is laid out in
> draft-openconfig-netmod-model-structure that you believe will help with the
> two problems that I raised. I’ll rephrase them here with less explanation,
> albeit that comes with less clarity.
>
> 1) As a consumer of YANG models, how do I identify the set of models that
> provide a set of functionality? How do YANG model writers ensure that their
> models are as easy to deal with as possible by having consistent modelling
> approaches for config?
>

> RTFM

        Andy,

        While it might be frustrating, coming to an understanding of what the
problem is or might be, and then looking at
why the existing mechanisms/models or additional ones solve these requirements
(or do not) is what is at hand.  I think everyone agreed
at the interim meeting that the requirements were clear and sound.  This is
detailed in the meeting minutes.  If anyone disputes this,
I am happy to do an official WG call for consensus on these specifics, but
given the unanimous agreement at the meeting, I did
not feel that it was necessary to do this.  Based on that, the next question
is: are these problems solved with what is here today,
or do we need another approach/es.  Rob is clearly not an idiot and is asking
for detailed reasons why you and others
believe what he/OpenConfig have proposed is insufficient. Please be as
considerate and constructive as he has been in asking his
questions when you address them.

        —Tom (Speaking as Co-chair)