On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Nadeau Thomas <tnad...@lucidvision.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> If so, I agree.
>>

>>> YANG is no different than any other part of the source code.
>>> Reusable YANG is just as likely or unlikely as reusable C,
>>> depending on how aware people are of the existing code base.
>>>
>>> Which OAM? Read the modules and decide. No magic there.
>>> How would /device vs / (as the first node) help you figure this out?
>>>
>>> Nobody is objecting at all to creating structure for the new modules.
>>> If /device has siblings, then let's see them in the uber-tree.
>>> The objection is to adding in a useless layer, and moving existing
>>> data nodes, which breaks existing implementations of all those data
>>> nodes.
>>>
>>> Please suggest an alternate approach to the one that is laid out in
>>> draft-openconfig-netmod-model-structure that you believe will help with the
>>> two problems that I raised. I’ll rephrase them here with less explanation,
>>> albeit that comes with less clarity.
>>>
>>> 1) As a consumer of YANG models, how do I identify the set of models
>>> that provide a set of functionality? How do YANG model writers ensure that
>>> their models are as easy to deal with as possible by having consistent
>>> modelling approaches for config?
>>>

>> RTFM
>>

>> Andy,
>>
>> While it might be frustrating, coming to an understanding of what the
>> problem is or might be, and then looking at
>> why the existing mechanisms/models or additional ones solve these
>> requirements (or do not) is what is at hand.  I think everyone agreed
>> at the interim meeting that the requirements were clear and sound.  This
>> is detailed in the meeting minutes.  If anyone disputes this,
>> I am happy to do an official WG call for consensus on these specifics,
>> but given the unanimous agreement at the meeting, I did
>> not feel that it was necessary to do this.  Based on that, the next
>> question is: are these problems solved with what is here today,
>> or do we need another approach/es.  Rob is clearly not an idiot and is
>> asking for detailed reasons why you and others
>> believe what he/OpenConfig have proposed is insufficient. Please be as
>> considerate and constructive as he has been in asking his
>> questions when you address them.
>>

> Are you suggesting that the openconfig drafts offer some solution
> to "how do I use this YANG module" that does not involve reading the YANG
> module?
> If so, I didn't see it.  Please point it out to us.
>

> I am not taking sides. I hope I don’t need to point out these guys have
> presented an alternative
> solution. The WG must consider this seriously as it is a serious proposal
> that is being seriously
> considered in other parts of the IETF such as the routing area.  I will
> point out again that we are
> looking at this closely and thoroughly. If its determined to be desired
> via consensus,
> then we will go forward with it; if not, then no.  Its my action and job

We are going to interim meetings.
We are discussing the issues on the WG mailing list.
I was under the impression this is our process.

I hope we get past the hand-waving phase and
you can enumerate the exact changes and how they are going
to be accomplished.  For example, do all 7 of the existing RFCs need
to recharter and start over? Is a WG going to be formed to create the
uber-tree?

There have been several objections to moving /interfaces to
/device/interfaces.
Are you declaring that the IETF agrees that this change is needed, despite
all the objections and statements such as "an uber-tree makes things worse"?

My only objection is to moving data that has already been published in an
> RFC.
> I am not the only person on this list that has questioned to value of
> moving this small number of data models to new roots in the data tree.
>
> Everything done in an IETF meeting needs to be confirmed on
> the mailing list.  You know that.
>
> So what specifics are you ready to declare have WG consensus?
>

> Again, my assumption was that there was sufficient consensus and
> understanding around
> the requirements (not the solutions) after the interim meetings.  I
> explicitly asked that
> question at the meeting and went around the WebEx call to confirm.   Those
> conclusions were
> documented in the meeting minutes posted on the list.

Just because there are objections to a top-level container
named /device doesn't mean anything wrt/ the entire list of problems.
Stop trying to push these solutions through all-or-none.
Even if the IETF agrees to work on a problem, all solutions
are subject to review and alteration by the WG.  A design team
solution is just a starting point (but you know that).

>From my reading of the email (from Juergen, Tom, and others) there
are real concerns that we have not agreed on the problems to be solved.

> —Tom

Andy