On August 28, 2015 3:53:33 PM Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Alexander Clemm (alex) <a...@cisco.com>
wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: netmod [mailto:netmod-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Ladislav Lhotka
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2015 4:31 AM
To: Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com>; a...@yumaworks.com
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] logical systems model

<snip>

NACM, as well as all other modules we have, is based on the assumption of
a single managed device.

I think it is a typical trend that what once was a single instance becomes
an array. If we did ietf-routing 20 years ago, there would probably be no
routing-instance list.

So I think it is a real problem that we can't migrate from a container to
a list and reuse the container's data model. Groupings might help somewhat
but they are still not fully reusable, if, for example, they contain
absolute references.

Lada
</snip>

One comment, if you forgive the pitch, but this problem / use case is by
the way exactly one of the reasons for mounting, which allows you to
introduce and impose an additional structure on top of an existing
structure, and "insert" the existing structure into it.  Augmentations etc
can only add below the hierarchy, there is no way we can put a new
container or list or whatever on top of an existing structure (without
replicating the existing structure in a duplicate model), but peer-mount
lets you do that.  One use case used in Open Daylight involves organizing/
inserting device-level information into a network inventory, which is
basically imposed "on top".

I thing YANG Mount would be the best way to solve this problem.
It provides a standard way to do "chroot" and it is flexible.
The mechanics of a "datastore within a datastore" are the
same and independent of the source of the data (local,
remote, virtual, etc.)

So I think an example of how you see this working would helpful.

Can one of you give an example of how this word work for a device (which may be physical or virtual) that allocates done resources, say interfaces to one logical entity (router, system, etc) and other resources to a second entity? And of course I want to manage all with yang and the first and second (sub) entity must be completely independent and ignorant of each other.

Thanks,
Lou