> On 13 Oct 2015, at 12:42, Juergen Schoenwaelder
> <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 12:30:58PM +0200, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
>>
>>> On 13 Oct 2015, at 12:19, Juergen Schoenwaelder
>>> <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:

>>> Did you read the following sentence:
>>>
>>>  [...] Note that
>>>  even in this case the semantics associated with the extension still
>>>  apply (as if they were part of a description statement).
>>
>> Well, if the parser ignores the extension statement, then the application
>> has no way to find out that the extension is present to be able to apply its
>> semantics.
>>

> Description statements have always to be taken into account.

This is a different thing. Such a description would be a substatement to the
"extension" (built-in) statement that defines the extension. In order to apply
the semantics in appropriate places, an application must see where the
extension statement is actually *used*. This is only possible if the underlying
parser provides this information.

>>> I think it answers your question with a 'no'.
>>
>> Specifying behaviour of a YANG parser using 2119 keywords YANG parser
>> doesn't make much sense to me, because it all depends on the purpose of the
>> application that uses the parser.
>>

> I do not get your point. The text says a parser may skip over an
> extension it does not know how to process and it says the semantics
> still apply as if they were part of a description statement. What
> is the problem with this?

If a protocol requires an extension to be honoured, then there is no excuse for
the parser to ignore it. But the sentence I am objecting to says "MAY ignore"
without any qualification.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs