On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 03:09:34PM +0200, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:

> > On 13 Oct 2015, at 13:01, Juergen Schoenwaelder
> > <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 05:37:36PM +0000, Kent Watsen wrote:
> >>
> >> This is a notice to start a NETMOD WG last call for the document:
> >>
> >> Defining and Using Metadata with YANG
> >> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-yang-metadata-02
> >>
> >> Please indicate your support by Thursday October 22, 2015 at 9PM EDT.
> >> We are not only interested in receiving defect reports, we are equally
> >> interested in statements of the form:
> >>

> > I am concerned about this text:
> >
> >   Annotations modify the schema of datastores and/or management
> >   protocol messages, and may also change their semantics.  Therefore,
> >   due care has to be exercised when introducing annotations in
> >   network management systems in order to avoid interoperability
> >   problems and software failures.
> >
> > I think we should actually very clearly discourage annotations that
> > modify the schema of datastores and/or management protocol messages
> > instead of assuming all annotations are free to do so.
>
> Annotations modify the schemas by definition because otherwise XML
> attributes, and objects in JSON encoding whose names start with "@", are not
> allowed.

For me, the schema of a datastore is the YANG data model. I do not
want annotations that change the YANG data model of a datastore.
Perhaps you mean something different but then the text allows multiple
interpretations and hence it is problematic.

Annotations should add metadata but I think metadata must not change
the semantics of the data model itself. I am also concerned if
metadata changes the semantics of protocol messages. I am not
interested in standards-track mechanisms that at the end increase the
chances of interoperability problems and software failures.