Hi Rob,

The text looks good. With respect to D we probably need more wordsmithing:

 D. Support for best effort and rollback-on-error error handling
          semantics.  The configuration protocol, or default server
          behavior, MUST specify whether the configuration is applied
          in a best effort fashion, or using "rollback on error"
          semantics - where all configuration changes in the request are
          undone if processing of any part of the configuration update
          failed.
--> how would the client know that a certain operation is supported in an
atomic or non-atomic manner by the server. In my view the default should be the
client assumes best effort and the server is allowed to do better.
Hence no need for a MUST.

A configuration protocol, or server, SHOULD provide
          support for rollback-on-error behavior and MAY choose to
          provide support for best effort semantics as well.

Wondering how much we need here. Assuming the server supports rollback, then do
we need protocol extensions for that?
Assuming the server doesn't support rollback. Then do we need anything special
in the protocol to re-configure the config to emulate something like a rollback?

My point is: given that transaction is a requirement, would we need to require
here anything more that is not a consequence?

Perhaps it is better to limit or even avoid text about transactions and just
define the state of the applied config after error. I see 3 cases so far:
1) atomic: after error the applied config is identical to the config before the
error
2) sequence: if the config is applied in a sequence and a specific leaf fails,
the leafs that have been configured before will keep the intended config, leafs
not yet processed keep the applied config and the failed leaf is undefined
3) all leafs in error are undefined, all error free leafs use the (new)
intended config as their applied config.

Thoughts?

Gert

Sent from my Apple ][

On 16 Oct 2015, at 14:13, Robert Wilton