>Will there ever be a server that operates in synchronous mode, given
>that applied will not match intended if hardware is missing?
>
>Will a client ever use "block" mode if it means that it might hang
>forever (or at least until some hw is plugged in)?

I think the key is in the phrase "The server MUST fully *attempt* to
apply..."

In my view, the server does not have to "fully apply", it merely has to
have attempted to do so.  Essentially, a request comes in resulting in a
flurry of activity, that ultimately stabilizes, at which point the
response can be sent.

If a line card is missing, then (as I understand it), the server would not
wait for the line-card to show up.  That said, if the client requested
transactional/atomic update, a missing line-card would cause an immediate
failure/rollback.

Makes sense?

Kent  // as a contributor