Rob,

Current implementations are incomplete asynchronous, because they didn't verify
the config as operational and applied.

What is frequently done is to perform additional checks on the intended config
that go beyond a syntax check. That is fine, but I have a hard time to consider
this to be "hybrid" which suggests something in between asynchronous and
synchronous.

>From a client perspective an asynchronous server and a hybrid server look the
>same. The difference is that the asynchronous one should convey a "finished"
>information to the client, while the hybrid would remain in a "trust me babe"
>mode forever.

Another way to look at hybrids is to consider them "cheating synchronous".
Given that the new config may not have been applied at the time of the response
to the client. This is worse than the situation before where a missing verify
lets the client know that something may still go on. Clients can't tell if
servers are cheating :-)

Gert

Sent from my Apple ][