> On 18 Oct 2015, at 04:49, Randy Presuhn <randy_pres...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> Hi -

I like this text.

Do we also want to restrict semantics of extensions? If an extension changes
YANG validity or datastore semantics, then a tool or protocol implementation
that doesn't support that extension may not be able to correctly interpret
instance data, or may outright break down.

In order to be able to support annotations in instance data, it is IMO
necessary to define the concept of annotations directly in the YANG spec. A
similar approach as for YANG extensions could perhaps be used for annotations:

The processing of annotations depends on whether support for those annotations
is claimed for a given protocol or tool set. An unsupported annotation
appearing in instance data or protocol messages MAY be ignored. Any supported
annotation MUST be processed in accordance with the specification governing
that annotation.

Lada

> Randy

Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs