Hi,

William Lupton <wlup...@broadband-forum.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> Here are a couple of questions from the Broadband Forum on RFC
> 6020bis-08 and draft-ietf-netconf-yang-library-02.
>
> Thanks,
> William
>
> --------
>
> 1. RFC 6020bis and updating modules
>
> 6020bis Section 11 (Updating a Module) lists all the ways in which a
> definition can be revised, but it's not clear whether this is intended
> to be an exhaustive list or just to illustrate the principle of
> allowing the value space to be broadened. If the latter then
> presumably other changes that adhere to this principle would also be
> valid.

The former.

> For example, it seems that the following might also be permitted:
>
> a. Extending a "when" statement so it is true for a wider set of
> conditions (example: realising that an RFC 7223 interface object
> applies to additional interface types).

This is allowed by:

  o  A "when" statement may be removed or its constraint relaxed.

> b. Re-writing a "when" statement to use a base identity rather than an
> explicit list of identities (with no change to the conditions for
> which it is true).

Same as above.

> c. Converting a leaf node to a choice (with no change to default
> behaviour).

This is not allowed, but maybe it should.  I.e., it should be ok to
wrap a node that is not a mandatory node (see terminology) in a choice
(+ case).

> 2. ietf-yang-library and reporting submodules
>
> As we understand them, submodules have no impact on a module's
> external interface, and (6020 Section 11) "A module may be split into
> a set of submodules, or a submodule may be removed, provided the
> definitions in the module do not change in any other way than allowed
> here".
>
> draft-ietf-netconf-yang-library-02 says (Section 1) "submodule list:
> The name and revision of each submodule used by the module MUST be
> identified" but the YANG module's "submodules" container appears not
> to be mandatory.

A container cannot be mandatory.

> Is it intended that the submodules MUST be listed?

Yes, that's what the text "The name and revision of each submodule
used by the module MUST be identified" says.

> If so, what is the rationale for requiring this?

The module may have used include w/o revision.  Unless the submodule
is listed by the server, the client won't know which revision the
server uses.