On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Ladislav Lhotka <lho...@nic.cz> wrote:

> [...]
> filesystem, which actually comes close to the definition of applied
> configuration - only its data model is generally very different.
> > Personally, I would think that a device knowing what configuration it is
> actually running should be the desired and default expectation, and not
> being able to provide this is a deficiency.
> >
> > Somehow the operator needs to be able to figure out whether a device is
> doing what it is supposed to be doing.  I don't think that it
>
> The operator (using a NETCONF/RESTCONF client) should be able to figure
> out what the device is doing by inspecting state data. That's why we have
> the separate *-state trees that often duplicate configuration data.
>
> >  is really reasonable to just force this problem on to the operators and
> tell them that they need to figure it out themselves.  This would mean that
> each and every operator that needs to interact with that device either has
> to accept that either they don't know what it is actually doing, or they
> have to independently implement a similar solution to figure it out.

> model the opstate requirements as only applying to the YANG
> >> Yes, it is not realistic.

> configuration applied if it is regarded as being a valid input to what is
> being programmed into the system.  What is actually programmed in the
> forwarding filter depends on both the accepted ACL YANG configuration and
> also the other independent configuration.
> >> Sure, but then applied configuration is of no use.
> > That's not entirely true.
> >
> > The operator still knows that the system is actually acting on the
> configuration that the user intended, it just doesn't mean that it has
> necessarily been programmed into the forwarding plane. That is subject to
> the other independent configuration allowing the ACL YANG configuration is
> in effect.
> >
> > E.g. in the following ASCII Art diagram, then if A was the YANG config,
> then they would know that has been successfully applied, even though they
> don't know about your other configuration 'B', or what ends up in the
> forwarding plane (derived state) :
> >
> > A ==\
> >     ===> Forwarding plane
> > B ==/
> >

> > Without the applied configuration state, the operator knows less
> information.  I.e. if the forwarding plane hasn't been programmed correctly
> then that might be either because the ACL YANG configuration (A) hasn't
> been applied or because the independent configuration (B) interferes with
> it.
>
> I think the substantial information is what parameters the system is
> currently using. If there is no guarantee that applied configuration has
> this information, then it is IMO much less interesting.
>
> I understand that for some systems the intended-applied configuration may
> be the right thing to do, so it could perhaps be defined as an optional
> capability. I just don't agree that this concept is universally applicable

The concept is applicable to all systems.
There will be non-zero elapsed time on any system between
the time of the request and the time the config is applied.

The amount of time is purely an implementation detail.
Many servers accomplish this task in under 1 second for a typical edit.
Whether this elapsed time is an operational problem or not really depends
on the deployment.

Lada

Andy