> On 10 Mar 2016, at 10:18, Juergen Schoenwaelder
> <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 09:44:04AM +0100, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> this revision is based on the IETF LC. In particular, Robert Sparks
>> suggested in his Gen-ART LC review to include an explanation as to why we
>> chose a YANG extension rather than a built-in statement. I added a paragraph
>> at the end of Introduction, please have a look, I hope it's a fair account
>> that shouldn't cause any controversy.
>>

> I think it is a feature to use extensions for new statements that do
> not have to be in the core. Modularity is a good thing, the YANG
> 1.1. specification is already 200 papges. When adding new statements,
> we should rather ask the question 'can this not also be done using
> extensions'?

I am not convinced about that. If we have a host of "standard" extensions
(annotation, complex-type and co., mount-point, mount-module, you name them),
every module author then may choose a subset of extensions for use in the
module, and then the value of YANG as a standard data modelling language would
be gone.

This explains the glacial pace of development of schema languages - there is a
good reason for it.

The following facts also don't help:

- there is no way for indicating which extensions are supported;

- sec. 11 in 6020bis allows extensions to be added in a new revision of a
module (it is not clear though whether this means definitions of extensions,
uses of extensions, or both).

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs