> On 10 Mar 2016, at 17:57, Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 4:18 AM, Ladislav Lhotka <lho...@nic.cz> wrote:
>
> > On 10 Mar 2016, at 12:34, Robert Wilton <rwil...@cisco.com> wrote:

> >> Sure.  The author will use the subset of core statement + extensions
> >> that is needed.  If the module doesn't need meta-data, it won't be
> >> used regardless of if it's a core statement or an extension.

> >> I disagree.  I agree w/ Juergen that defining extensions when it is
> >> possible is a feature.
> > I actually also agree with Juergen and Martin.
> >
> > I see that the one of the advantages of using extensions is that it allows
> > them to evolve independently and more quickly than the base draft.  And I
> > would think that it is easier to deprecate an old extension if it was
> > superseded by a better approach.
>
> This would all be fine as long as modules developed with such extensions stay
> experimental, too.
>

> I think standard extensions can be in standard YANG modules.
> My problem with extensions is that they become mandatory-to-implement
> if the module is advertised.

I don't agree - this doesn't happen automatically. There must be some extra
mechanism for an extension to become mandatory to implement, e.g. a special
protocol, or a negotiated capability in an existing protocol.

For example, if my RESTCONF implementation uses future modules that happen to
contain the "mount-point" extension, I don't want structural-mount to become
mandatory to implement.

> IMO, YANG 1.1 MUST require that if-feature-stmt can appear within an external
> statement.
> There is currently no way to create an optional extension.
>
> We have also received customer requests to allow the if-feature-stmt inside
> the deviation-stmt, which would be a really useful addition to YANG 1.1.

IMO it is way too late to consider such new features for inclusion in YANG 1.1.

Lada

> Lada
>

> > Rob
>

> Andy