On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 04:07:07PM +0100, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:

> > - I'm not sure if anyone has considered XMLDSIG or use of JOSE
> > with YANG. If one did, then this kind of mapping would not
> > allow one to preserve digital signatures without a lot of
> > work. I assume that that's considered ok. (Which it can be,
> > depending on how one does object level security, if one does
> > object level security.)
>
> I am not an expert on digital signatures and their representations, but
> I'd say they could be modelled as YANG's "binary" type (and transferred
> base64-encoded). This should work equally well in XML and JSON,
> including round trips.

Lada, I think Stephen asks about JSON encoded YANG-defined data that
is signed, that is, the JSON serialization itself is signed. What
happens to the signature if you convert the JSON to corresponding XML
serialization. I think the answer is that the signature is broken in
this case and I think this is quite natural.

Object signatures so far never came up in the NETCONF/YANG context
(well not quite correct, I think there is some related discussion
aroud the zero-config draft) but even if they do, I think we will have
to accept that signatures are encoding specific. And I think this is
not a big deal; if I sign my HTML encoded email, then the signature
likely won't apply to a text-only rendering of the same email.