> On 15 Aug 2016, at 13:31, William Lupton <wlup...@broadband-forum.org> wrote:
>
> Ah! Re-reading it I think that you are correct. In this spirit I propose the
> change shown below. I believe that all this does is (a) generalise, and (b)
> clarify. I don’t believe that it changes the intended meaning.
>
> OLD:
>
> It is acceptable to reuse the same revision statement within unpublished
> versions (i.e., Internet-Drafts), but the revision date MUST be updated to a
> higher value each time the Internet-Draft is re-posted.
>
> NEW:
>
> It is acceptable to reuse the same revision statement within unpublished
> versions (e.g., Internet-Drafts), but the revision date (i.e., the revision
> statement’s argument) MUST be updated to a higher value each time a new
> version (e.g., of the Internet-Draft) is posted.

It seems strange to talk about reusing the revision statement and, in the same
sentence, require to change its argument. What about this:

NEW

It is not required to keep the revision history of unpublished versions (e.g.,
Internet-Drafts). That is, within a sequence of unpublished versions, only the
most recent revision MAY be recorded in the module or submodule. However, the
revision date of the most recent revision MUST be updated to a higher value
each time a new version (e.g., of the Internet-Draft) is posted.

Lada

> ——
>
> Comments?
>
>> On 11 Aug 2016, at 17:26, Randy Presuhn <randy_pres...@alumni.stanford.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I read the text as intended to make a distinction between the *date* portion
>> and the rest
>>
>> of the revision statement.  When a module is under development, retaining a
>> history
>>
>> of specific incremental changes isn't terribly helpful, but changing the
>> date is essential
>>
>> to helping tools decide among the versions floating around in the lab.
>>

>> Randy (experimenting with mail readers, please forgive formatting anomalies)
>>

>> On 8/11/2016 9:17 AM, William Lupton wrote:
>>> Thanks. e.g rather than i.e sounds good, BUT my point (sorry if that wasn’t
>>> clear) is that this sentence seems to be contradictory. It says:
>>>
>>> 1. Unpublished versions, i.e IDs, can reuse revision statements.
>>> 2. IDs MUST update their revision dates each time they are re-posted.
>>>
>>> My suggestion of removing the parenthesised text was to remove this
>>> contradiction. Right now I’m not clear that I can rely on revision dates in
>>> YANG modules contained within IDs.
>>>
>>> William
>>>
>>> PS, I think that the removal of this text removes the contradiction because
>>> in order to make sense of the sentence the reader will be forced to the
>>> conclusion that IDs are not regarded as being “unpublished”.

Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C