Andy,

This thread started with discussion of an apparent ambiguity in the current
text:

OLD

It is acceptable to reuse the same revision statement within unpublished
versions (i.e., Internet-Drafts), but the revision date MUST be updated to a
higher value each time the Internet-Draft is re-posted.

——

It became clear from the subsequent discussion (thanks Randy!) that the above
text isn’t intended to mean “reuse the identical revision statement, INCLUDING
THE REVISION DATE” but to mean “reuse the revision statement, UPDATING THE
REVISION DATE”.

Then other people raised other points, e.g only updating the revision date if
the YANG has changed, distinguishing between the document and the YANG
contained therein, and distinguishing between YANG in IDs and YANG created by
other SDOs. My proposed new text tries to address all of these:

NEW:

It is not required to keep the full revision history of draft versions (e.g.,
modules contained within Internet-Drafts). That is, within a sequence of draft
versions, only the most recent revision need be recorded in the module.
However, if the module has changed, the revision date of the most recent
revision MUST be updated to a later date whenever a new version is made
available (e.g., via a new version of an Internet-Draft).

——

I believe that this retains the original intent in a way that resolves the
original ambiguity and addresses the other points that were raised. It it’s
“worse”, how is it worse (apart from being longer, on which point mea culpa)?

Thanks,
William