On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 02:19:32PM -0400, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> I was going to just watch this, but I can't.
>
> To call protocol negotiated values "configuration" is to create a usage
> which will confuse MANY people.

There are people who have a broad concept of configuration and there
are people who have a narrow concept of configuration. There is not
way to resolve this. All we can do is come up with a terminology that
is consistent and can be used consistently.

> Even worse, configuring protocol learned
> values is liable to break things.  To use one example, many protocols
> negotiate timers.  The value that a given systems starts with is the
> configured value.  The value that it learns from the protocol exchange is
> the operational value.  In fact, you better not try to configure that value
> or you are liable to break the protocol.

Nobody proposed this, please take a look at the figure in the document
to understand the information flow and where the distinction is made.