On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder <
j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 09:18:10AM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 12:49 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder <
> > j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:

> origin
> > > support
> > >
> > > If your server does not support templates or inactive configuration or
> > > the like, then intended is just an alias for running.
> >
> > IMO this is not correct.
> > There are no standards at all to define these things.
> > Our server supports an implementation of config templates that expands
> the
> > template when it is first created.  A different proprietary
> implementation
> > MAY choose
> > to expand templates in some other way.  Since there are no standards for
> > this purpose,
> > any proprietary implementation decision is valid.
>
> So your implementation allows a client to write something to <running>
> that transforms into something different at the time it is written (or
> committed I assume)? Anyway, my statement was:
>
>   If your server does not support templates or inactive configuration or
>   the like, then intended is just an alias for running.
>
> So it does not apply to your implementation.

IMO the concept of NMDA conformance is still very under-specified.
There should be a clear statement in RFC 2119 terms for the exact
datastores that are considered standard datastores.  This needs to be 100%
backward
compatible with RFC 7950 and RFC 6241 requirements for the 3 traditional
datastores.
I don't care if new datastore usage is unbounded, as long as the client
developer
knows what to expect from an NMDA-compliant server.

The WG needs to deliberately (not haphazardly) determine the
interoperability boundaries.