On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 12:41:28PM -0800, Andy Bierman wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Lou,
> >
> > Lou Berger <lber...@labn.net> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >       These comments are based on my Shepherd review of this document and
> > > should be addressed as part of addressing any LC comments:
> > >
> > > 1) Considering the recent discussion on Library made me consider the
> > > general case of a module that is composed entirely of operational state.
> > >  I think this case is subject to interpretation and therefore needs to
> > > be explicitly covered.  For example section 5.3 states:
> > >
> > >    The datastore schema for <operational> MUST be a superset of the
> > >    combined datastore schema used in all configuration datastores except
> > >    that YANG nodes supported in a configuration datastore MAY be omitted
> > >    from <operational> if a server is not able to accurately report them.
> > >
> > > This could be read that a module that an operational state MUST be
> > > present (but presumably empty>?) in some other DS to be present in
> > > operational.  I don't believe this is your intent, but it should be
> > > explicitly covered for the benefit of future readers.
> >
> > Ok.  How about we add to the paragraph above a sentence:
> >
> >     If a module does not contain any configuration data then it MAY be
> >     omitted from the schema for the configuration datastores.
>
> I liked the old YANG library better.
> It allows a client to create of a list of all the
> modules/revisions/features/deviations
> that will be needed to match the schema tree used by the server.
> The compiler does not care if it is looking for a typedef vs. a data node.
> The YANG library details help the compiler find the correct definitions.
>
> Consider iana-crypt-hash that has only typedefs and features.
> Leaving this module out of the library can cause problems for a client.

I think this is not the intention. If a module is needed to satisfy
imports, it has to be listed as part of the schema. So perhaps this is
better?

    If a module does not contain any configuration data and it is not
    needed to satisfy any imports, then it MAY be omitted from the
    schema for the configuration datastores.