On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:16 AM, Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > >             I disagree.  You need an XPath implementation + custom
> > >             code to set up
> > >
> > >             the environment.
> > >
> > >         This is OK, but can we just use the JSON encoding instance
> > >         identifier
> > >
> > >         format exactly?  I.e .RFC 7951 section 6.11.
> > >
> > >         So "/ietf-interfaces:interfaces/interface/ietf-ip:ipv4/
> enabled"
> > >
> > >         can trivially be expanded to:
> > >
> > >         "/ietf-interfaces:interfaces/ietf-interfaces:interface/
> ietf-ip:ipv4/ietf-ip:enabled",
> > >
> > >         and then interpreted with the context:
> > >
> > >              "ietf-interfaces" ->
> > >         "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-interfaces"
> > >
> > >            "ietf-ip"         -> "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:yang:ietf-ip"
> > >
> > >     *this* would require a custom XPath implementation.
> > >
> > > Why?  I.e. how is this different from stating "Custom code is needed
> > > to connect things together"?
> > >

> > >     and it is not obvious what the rules for the "auto-assignment" of
> > >
> > >     prefixes would be.  For example:
> > >
> > >       /ietf-interfaces//ietf-ip:address[../foo]
> > >
> > >     what is the prefix for "foo"?
> > >
> > > OK, so here the module for "../foo" would need to be specified.
> > >
> > > Perhaps the rule that I'm looking for is the module name may be
> > > omitted when it matches the parent node module, and can easily be
> > > inferred.  I.e. so that for any XPath string, it is possible to
> > > trivially expand it without any additional schema context.
> > >
> > > It just seems to be that requiring the long hand of
> > > "/ietf-interfaces:interfaces/ietf-interfaces:interface/
> ietf-ip:ipv4/ietf-ip:enabled"
> > > seems like it will get very verbose, and I wonder whether we are
> > > introducing yet another Xpath format to YANG.
> > > <RR> I’m willing to live with verbosity if it avoids the need of
> > > another format.
> > >
> > RW:
> >
> > This is already looks like another format:
>
> Again, it is *not* another format!
>

> > Xpath filters used in Netconf use explicit namespaces, e.g. rfc6241
> > sec 8.9.5.1
> >
> >          <filter xmlns:t="http://example.com/schema/1.2/config";
> >                  type="xpath"
> >                  select="/t:top/t:users/t:user[t:name='fred']"/>
> >         </get-config>
>
> In this case, the prefix-string -> uri mapping is taken from the XML
> namespace declaration in the XML document.
>

> > The standard JSON encoding for instance-data (IIRC, the same scheme is
> > used for CBOR) uses the module-name but omits it where it matches the
> > parent (e.g.
> >
> > "/ietf-interfaces:interfaces/interface/ietf-ip:ipv4/enabled")
>
> Do you mean instance-identifier?  If so, it is a special type that
> happens to share the syntax with XPath, and the JSON syntax is defined
> in RFC 7951 section 6.11.
>

> > RFC 8040 query parameter is as described below, but having looked at
> > the examples I'm not really sure how that is meant to work :-)
>
> In this case, the prefix-string -> uri mapping is given in the
> document.
>

> We use XPath in various different places, and each place MUST specify

You are right.
Our custom XPath code needs to be told to get prefix mappings from XML or
YANG import-stmts
already, so 1 more internal mapping directly to module name is not going to
require
any significant changes to XPath processing.

More importantly, it does not require any redefinition of the XPath
standard.

> /martin

Andy