On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Robert Wilton <rwil...@cisco.com> wrote:

>> Finally, I'm trying to figure out have RFC 8040 query parameter (sect
>>> 4.8.4), which also uses XPath expressions is meant to work. That
>>> states:
>>>
>>> The set of namespace declarations is the set of prefix and
>>>        namespace pairs for all supported YANG modules, where the prefix
>>>        is the YANG module name and the namespace is as defined by the
>>>        "namespace" statement in the YANG module.
>>>
>> Perfect!  It seems the authors of 8040 thought of this ;-)
>>
> OK, what you propose would at least be consistent with how the XPath is
> formed in sec 8040, 4.8.4?
>
> I can live with that.  But still strongly think that WG should think of
> trying to move YANG on from Xpath 1.0.

I do not agree YANG should change any statements where XPath is being used.
(Note that leafs like the filter are free to use whatever data type they
want, including yang:xpath1.0).

The WG is on the right track already wrt/ XPath by creating custom XPath
functions
like 'deref' that simplify syntax or extend functionality.