In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   Richard Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 6 Dec 2008 Rob Kendrick wrote:

> > A browser that cannot render broken HTML is not a useful thing, given
> > the vast majority of sites are broken.  Thus, knowing that sites are
> > broken is not useful.

> But knowing how they are broken is, and so is knowing how mainstream
> browsers deal with the same faults. Knowing that a site is valid is
> also useful, since a browser must correctly render compliant sites.

The point that Rob and I really wanted to make is; if you find a page that
NetSurf makes a mess of, telling the web master of the site that their
pages fail to validate will never help NetSurf render that page.

Even if the web master immediately fixed the reams of trivial issues the
validator throws up there wouldn't be a change in NetSurf's rendering. The
validator checks markup grammar and syntax, but issues with these will
cause the same effects in NetSurf as in other browsers. HTML5 has
formulated exactly how to handle bad HTML syntax and grammar based on the
behaviour of the mainstream browsers. NetSurf now has an implementation of
the HTML5 parsing algorithm, so be behave has other browsers do in the
face of invalid HTML.

So if you find a site that doesn't work with NetSurf and you would like to
contact the web master about it, hoping they'll be able to produce a work
around faster than we can fix NetSurf then consider the following:

+ If the site doesn't work in a mainstream browser with JavaScript disabled
  then NetSurf has no chance. You could let the web master know that you
  need to be able to access the site without JavaScript to use it.

+ If the site does work in a mainstream browser with JavaScript disabled
  then NetSurf should probably manage and it's a NetSurf bug or
  un-implemented feature at fault. The only way for the web master to do
  anything about it would be to install NetSurf and try it for themselves.
  We have the following page for this purpose:
  http://www.netsurf-browser.org/webmasters/
  Maybe we could update that page with more info.

Of course, even if you contact the web master about a page, the NetSurf
developers would like to see it too, so always report non-working sites to
us. :)

Note, I've said "you", but I really meant to address any NetSurf user here.

Best regards,

Michael

--

Michael Drake (tlsa)                  http://www.netsurf-browser.org/