Russell Hafter - Lists wrote:
Having been involved in earlier discussions about unicode
and NetSurf (at that time) failing to display certain
eastern European characters I am well aware of this.

But while that may be a reason, it does not explain the need
for font scanning *to me*. Sorry.

<Exasperated>

Here are some tips to minimise the amount of font scanning NetSurf does

* Do not put !Scrap on a RAM disc, or clear it on boot

* Install the set of fonts you use most often in !Fonts and only use a
  Font Management utility when you need additional fonts for DTP.

* Put any fonts only used by NetSurf (such as large unicode fonts
  imported from other platforms) in !NetSurf.Fonts if you don't
  want RISC OS to see them when NetSurf isn't running.

Also, I was thinking beyond RISC OS: what happens with other
platforms, particularly with Opera and Firefox which run on
quite a wide range of OSs.

All alternative OSs have proper support for unicode and foreign encodings, so don't require the hoops NetSurf/RUFL has to go to make the privative RISC OS system display anything other than the current encoding.

Be very grateful the developers have bothered implementing this system for RISC OS, as it's not needed on any of the other ports, and probably wouldn't get written now if it didn't already exist.

Cheers
---David

--
Email: dr...@druck.org.uk