Jim Nagel  wrote on 15 Oct:

> Steve Fryatt  wrote on 14 Oct :

>> Jim Nagel <nets...@abbeypress.co.uk> wrote:

>>> exactly.  of course i could filter on all those fields.  but then when
>>> somebody sends ME a personal copy the filter would send it to the general
>>> list folder where it would not get the priority attention the sender
>>> intends.

>> In that situation, you would get two copies: the one via the list would end
>> up filtered on the List-Id field as intended, and the personal copy woild
>> end up in your inbox.  It's always worked fine here (I *only* filter on
>> List-Id or its equivalent, where possible).

> i've been filtering on "To" = *Netsurf-users* ;
> have now changed "To" to "List-ID"

> sending myself a personal copy "to" myself (rather than "cc") to see
> if your suggestion works.

verily, it does.  i had never realized that such a header as "List-ID"
exists and that the list server inserts it on messages it sends out.
this will not be on private copies, since they go another route.

so i've learned something (and acquired a hint&tip for the magazine).

--
Jim Nagel           [ www.archivemag.co.uk > Offer ]