One of the Archive writers put a 5M zip file for me on his website and
emailed me the link, along with the username and password it requires.

When I click the link in the email (displayed by MPro), Netsurf (2.5)
fires up, opens a blank page and puts up the "site authentication"
dialogue asking username and password.  Then it spends ages apparently
fetching the file, then says "Processing document" with hourglass for
ages and finally crashes.

I tried loading Fresco and clicked the same link in the email. It
asked username and password, downloaded the file in 16 seconds and
popped up a savebox showing a zipfile.

As a workaround with Netsurf, I copied the link from the email into a
simple HTML page so I could *Shift*-click it.  That worked OK.
However, the progress box during the download showed peculiar
behaviour: the estimated time kept changing between between two rather
high values that proved meaningless.

emailed link involves authentication.  I filed a bug report with log.

Anybody experienced similar?

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk