On 17 May, Jim Nagel wrote in message
    <ac3def1851....@nails.ukonline.co.uk>:

> nobody responded to my earlier posting (quoted below).  problem has come
> up again.  here are some smaller sample files:
>
>      http://archive.abacusline.co.uk/gerald.zip
>      http://archive.abacusline.co.uk/gerald.jpg
>      Username:    archive
>      Password:   amusement

Is Gerald happy with those details going public?  He might want to change
the password once others here have tested that URL...

> not sure what's happening here at the password stage.  this file downloads
> now (unlike the 5M one below) but displays in Netsurf as goggledygoop text
> rather than as picture or zipfile icon.  note that it happens
> first-time-round only:  if you try again after having put the password in
> once, it does not ask the password again and behaves.

Testing that first URL with wget, the server initially responds by saying
that the file is "text/html", and then reconsiders after authentication and
states that it is really "application/zip".  It looks as if NetSurf is going
with the first claim, and rendering the page as text in the browser window
-- in the case of the 5M file, I suspect it then runs out of memory and
crashes.

I'll leave it to someone else to comment on if there's something wrong with
the way NetSurf is dealing with the supplied Content-Type headers in this
case; it's not something I'm familiar with.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/