On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:19:56 +0100, Richard Porter wrote:

> On 17 Oct 2011 Brian Bailey  wrote:
>
> > I ran the html file which was with the message, which appears as an
> > attchment, in !Pluto, in NetSurf. The BMP file was also an attachment to
> > the message. NetSurf tried to load the file. End of.
>
> OK. But an html message or web page shouldn't contain BMP images. I
> expect that Internet Explorer might open them

Actually BMP files are pretty well supported by web browsers -
presumably mostly because favicons started out using BMP or ICO files.
Wikipedia has a reasonable table although the BMP column is incomplete
(NetSurf entry needs filling in!):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers#Image_format_support

I'd agree that BMP is an odd choice though...

> I'm not surprised that NetSurf barfed at it.

NetSurf's BMP support is very complete/compatible from what I've seen.
It's certainly much better than the rubbish which comes with AmigaOS
:) (fortunately easily replaced with libnsbmp code)

Chris