On 3 Oct, Roger Darlington wrote in message
    <02a8841c52.roger...@rogerarm.freeuk.com>:

> I have downloaded the latest test build r12932, and find that it treats
> frames in an entirely different way to what it test builds did less than 3
> months ago.
>
> Positioning the mouse pointer over any one frame and rotating the scroll
> wheel used to scroll  only the frame that it was underneath it; now it
> scrolls the whole caboodle, and reveals a previously unseen blank frame at
> the bottom. (??)

Some of these issues have now been sorted in the RISC OS front-end, as of
r13292.

Frames can be scrolled using the scrollbars and by dragging, as has always
be the case.

In addition, they can now be scrolled using the keyboard.  The browser
window must have focus, and the caret must not be in the URL bar (as many of
the scroll keys are also used by URL completion); a click somewhere in the
main part of browser window will achieve this.  After that, the cursor keys,
Page Up/ Down, Home and End will have the usual effects: either on the whole
page (for unframed sites) or for the frame under the mouse pointer.

The scroll wheel is more tricky.  In theory it will behave as the keyboard
does, and scroll whatever is under the pointer.  However, the problem is
that there's no standard API for passing on scrollwheel events under
RISC OS, so there may well be incompatibilities.  Operation on Select and
RISC OS 6 remains untested.

* The scroll wheel won't work under RISC OS 4.02 or earlier.

* Later versions of RISC OS 4 and 6, which include ROL's scroll wheel API,
should work "out of the box".  If you have it configured to "Focus" or
"Focus or Pointer" behaviour, however, remember that NetSurf still needs the
pointer to be over the window in question so that it knows which object
you're trying to scroll.  Also remember that support on these OSs is
untested.

* RISC OS 5 without HID should work as standard.  However, the OS seems to
send scroll requests in clumps of five to the browser, so it may scroll more
that you would expect.

* RISC OS 5 with HID should also work, but NetSurf needs to get scroll
information from HID in "Scroll Request" mode.  If this is your default
setting for HID then things will just work; if not (and I think that HID
defaults to a different default, IYSWIM) then you need to add an exception.
Select 'Scroll wheel' from HID's iconbar menu; click Menu on the list that
appears and choose 'Edit->Add new line at bottom'.  Select the new line,
then choose 'Edit->Edit line...' from the menu.  In the dialogue, set
'Application' to "NetSurf" (via the pop-up menu, if NetSurf is running), and
set 'Vertical method' and 'Horizontal method' to "Scroll Request".  'Step'
should be "1" for both.  Click 'OK'; you'll then need to save the settings
(which HID might prompt for when you shut down).

* If you have a scroll wheel setup that scrolls by sending Open Window
events to NetSurf (which is how HID works in some other modes, and how I
think STD's old PS2Mouse system worked pre-ROL), then things will still work
on unframed sites.  With frames, however, you'll see the effect described by
Roger above: the whole site will simply scroll out of view and leave a blank
work area in its place.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England             Wakefield Acorn & RISC OS Show
                                             Saturday 28 April 2012