On 12 Nov 2013 as I do recall,
          Tony Moore  wrote:

[snip]

> Harriet didn't say which version of NS she was using, and I assumed
> that she was talking about a change at
> https://www.fanfiction.net/login.php

I was, yes.

> 'As of today' there is no build of NS yet, but NetSurf-gcc-json-1447,
> 11-Nov-2013 14:36 also displays the captcha. For the avoidance of doubt:
>
> The text captcha displays correctly here: RO 5.20, NS 1447, js disabled.

I've just downloaded NS 1447 but am not seeing any captcha at all on
that page.   It reads "FanFiction Login with..." followed by various
social media icons, then "or" followed by three blank text entry icons -
which, from experiment, are email-address, password and required captcha
text - followed by a "login" button.

Judging by the old version of the page, there ought to be a visible
'audio alternative' link somewhere plus, obviously, a captcha.

RO 5.19, NS 1447, js disabled - though enabling it makes no difference,
other than to cause the page to take longer to render.

Whereabouts on the page are you seeing the captcha?   Sounds as if it
may be some kind of layout issue after all... the audio link at any rate
is present in the HTML source.

--
Harriet Bazley                     ==  Loyaulte me lie ==

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.