In message <mpro.n0iifp008cgrh041t.pit...@pittdj.co.uk>
          David Pitt <pit...@pittdj.co.uk> wrote:

>Geoffrey Baxendale, on 4 Feb, wrote:
>

>> Is it just me, or is Netsurf's sockets system awry. After a modest
>> browsing session Internet access freezes up due,  I think,
>>  to sockets being used up. Qitting Netsurf restores order. It seems to
>>  have started about a couple of weeks ago. Not sure of the exact time.
>>
>> Risc Os 6.2 NS R1681. (JSoff)
>
>The same thing happens here with #1694 on a Raspberry Pi, OS5.21 (31Jan14).
>
>I have resurrected a Socket Counter application, !SockCtr, which dates back
>to the time when Oregano2 managed to do a similar trick. It is a frontend to
>David Ruck's SocketCount.
>
>http://pittdj.co.uk/software/index.htm

Thank you for that useful app, David.  It confirms Netsurf's problem
nicely.  The number of sockets starts off for me at 90, and gradually
collapses.  When it reaches 0, NS can't resolve the link.  The number
rarely increases at all.

But the clincher is: quit NS, and the number instantly goes back up
to 90.

I'm confirming it with build 1694 and 1615.  There's a big gap in
the versions I've kept; the latest before 1615 is 1356, which behaves
very differently.  Curiously, the sockets are recovered not when a
page closes, but when a new one is opened.

Dave

Send any screenshot to your friends in seconds...
TRY IM TOOLPACK at http://www.imtoolpack.com/default.aspx?rc=if2 for FREE