In message <8c1f76e355.harr...@blueyonder.co.uk>
       Harriet Bazley <li...@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:

> On 23 Nov 2016 as I do recall,
>           Jim Nagel  wrote:
>
> > Does Netsurf not save its hotlist and history till the user quits
> > the program?
> >
> No, it doesn't.
> An attempt to avoid constant unpredictable disc accesses, I assume,
> and it's not a problem until the program crashes, but it would be
> nice at least if editing the hotlist physically updated the relevant
> file - it's not something that happens all that often, unlike opening
> new pages, and unlike in other programs there's no way to 'save your
> work' manually.   It's a bit counter-intuitive that the only way to
> ensure that changes to the program data are preserved is to quit the
> program immediately after making them!

This is a particular problem for BookMaker.

If the user adds any pages to the hotlist, BookMaker registers that the
hotlist has changed, and the "Save" button on the toolbar becomes
active. But if you save the hotlilst and then quit Netsurf, Netsurf
very kindly overwrites the version you've saved from BookMaker with its
own internal copy. This got so frustrating that now BookMaker won't let
you save a Netsurf hotlist if Netsurf is still running.

This does have one advantage - if/when Netsurf crashes, you can then
save the (updated) hotlist from BookMaker.

Eventually, I plan to add a patch to Netsurf, so that it checks on exit
for the use of a foreign hotlist manager, and avoid saving the hotlist
if one is in use. It's a bit daunting, as I'm going to have to start
from building a GCC environment on a virtual machine.

--
Nick Roberts           tigger @ orpheusinternet.co.uk

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.