On 28 Jul 2022 as I do recall,
          Mouse  wrote:

> I recently had occasion to set up a Linux - Debian - machine (for work,
> to be sure).  I'm having trouble finding a Web browser I can stand to
> use.
>
> One of the ones I tried was netsurf (via apt-get install, installing
> netsurf-common and netsurf-gtk - the About window says "NetSurf 3.10
> (24th May 2020)").  As I have, unfortunately, come to expect from
> almost everything, it defaulted to reverse video.  The notable part is
> that I was unable to find any way to change that; most of the browsers
> I've run into on Linux have had some way to configure colours, usually
> including a way to tell it "use these colours no matter what the page
> tries to set".  With netsurf, though, I couldn't find even the former,
> much less the latter.
>
> Did I just miss something, or is netsurf not capable of being told what
> colours to use?

Netsurf has a default CSS file that sets up various colours, e.g.

ins { color: green; text-decoration: underline; }

I can't see that it explicitly sets the main body colour (although it
does for text areas), but you could presumably edit additional
definitions in.  To be honest I don't know that this would override the
colours set up in the page that it is being asked to interpret, though.
It's not something that any RISC OS browser has ever been asked to do,
to my knowledge.

I'd be rather concerned about why everything on your system is for some
reason defaulting to inverse video and needs to be over-ridden to make
it usable...

--
Harriet Bazley                     ==  Loyaulte me lie ==

USER ERROR: replace user and press any key to continue.