>> [I tried netsurf].  As I have, unfortunately, come to expect from
>> almost everything, it defaulted to reverse video.  [...]

> [default CSS]  To be honest I don't know that this would override the
> colours set up in the page [...]

I wouldn't expect default CSS to override the page's colours.  That's
what defaults are all about, after all.  (I wouldn't even _want_ to
override the page's colours, except that most pages actively specify
reverse-video colours.  I don't understand why.)

> I'd be rather concerned about why everything on your system is for
> some reason defaulting to inverse video and needs to be over-ridden
> to make it usable...

It defaults to reverse video presumably for the same reason everything
else does these days: that seems to be what most people have come to
expect.  (It's baffling to me why; the one UX person I've spoken with
about the issue actually agreed with me.)

The "make it usable" part needs, of course, to have a "for me"
qualifier attached; I had assumed that was implicitly understood here,
as of course it should be for pretty much any user-usability issue.  I
suspect most people have become accustomed to having large areas of
bright on their screens.  Maybe they like eyestrain?  [Only half
sarcastic....]

Of course, it doesn't matter much what the defaults are, as long as
it's easy to change them.  It's the changing-them part that led me to
write to the list.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mo...@rodents-montreal.org