Yes, it'd be great to have a a good, up-to-date CLI interface to NetworkManager; I've also been wanting this, and I'll be happy to help with whatever coding or testing I can be helpful with. Let me know how I can help.

I only recently came across NM, on a new Fedora 10 system I'm setting up as a home router sharing a CDMA modem connection via ethernet. The CDMA connection goes down relatively often, and NM doesn't auto-reconnect; a CLI would let me relatively easily code such an auto-reconnect feature into the dispatcher.d scripts. (although there is probably a cleaner way to do it...)

Glad that this is a shared itch,
        Jesse Weinstein