* Pavel Simerda

> 1) First of all it doesn't *specifically* disable kenrel link-local
> addresses allocation but performs some magic to disable a couple of
> IPv6 features at once. This wouldn't be a problem in the original
> poster's case as he wants to disable IPv6 anyway.

As I understand it, link-local addressing is necessary for IPv6 to
function at all. So disabling link-local addressing is analogous to
disabling IPv6.

So the note in the Wiki «Kernel doesn't support turning link-local
addressing on/off (without affecting other features)» doesn't really
make any sense, as it would be impossible to disable link-local
addressing without affecting the rest of the IPv6 stack. It would be
like removing the lowest floor of a building and expecting the remainder
to *not* come crashing down... :-)

> 2) But setting disable_ipv6 doesn't really work as expected. See [1]
> and especially the note about disable_ipv6 below the table. The truth
> is that this also wouldn't affect the original poster's use case
> where the specific interface is (hopefully) expected to be always
> without IP addresses.

Okay. I'm not sure I've understood what the bug in question is and how
to tickle it, though.

Tore