----- Original Message -----

Nope. IPv6 can work just as well as IPv4 with manually configured addresses.
It's described in the resource I linked to. For example OpenVZ (must be used
with a patched kernel) does that for its venet virtual networking
infrastructure. Another example is a ppp links (with normal kernels) don't even
distinguish the link-local and global addresses. There's actually no reason you
would need link-local addresses for static configuration.

> So disabling link-local addressing is analogous to disabling IPv6.

I understand the source of this idea but I believe it is a mistake and source
of problems.

> It would be
> like removing the lowest floor of a building and expecting the remainder
> to *not* come crashing down... :-)

The problem with analogies is that they usually don't work as well as pure
technical reasoning. Communication between two global IPv6 addresses doesn't
rely on link-local addresses at all (neighbor solicitations and advertisements
use the global addresses in that case). Anyone who says something different
should back up his claim on technical basis.

> > 2) But setting disable_ipv6 doesn't really work as expected. See [1]
> > and especially the note about disable_ipv6 below the table. The truth
> > is that this also wouldn't affect the original poster's use case
> > where the specific interface is (hopefully) expected to be always
> > without IP addresses.
>
> Okay. I'm not sure I've understood what the bug in question is and how
> to tickle it, though.

I think it's described in one of the upstream bug reports but I can't find it
right now. The only thing you can do if we don't find a description is to try
it yourself.

Cheers,

Pavel