On Wed, 2018-10-24 at 16:40 +0200, Thomas HUMMEL wrote:
> On 10/24/2018 04:11 PM, Thomas HUMMEL wrote:
>
> > > Reapply doesn't seem to have any relevance with modification or
> > > persistance.
> >
> > Yes so now my understanding of reapply is more like "restore" (to
> > its
> > original settings). Does this make sense even with non disk backed
> > applied profiled (I guess that's what you tried to explain to me in
> > profile).
>
> In fact I don't understand reapply anymore :
>
> - it doesn't affect the profile

right, the profile is unchanged.

> - a nmcli device modify <device> (802-3-ethernet.mtu for instance)
> seems
> to immediatly (re)apply the change I'm doing to the active profile.
>
> So, I don't understand anymore when I'm supposed to issue a nmcli
> device
> <device> reapply ?

First of all, device-reapply might not be something that is frequently
used. So, you can be perfectly fine, without ever using it.

Remember, that a modification of the profile (`nmcli connection
modify`) does not take effect immeiately (except "connection.zone" and
"connection.metered" properties). You usually need to do a full re-
activation for the changes to take effect (`nmcli connection up`).

`nmcli device reapply` is mostly like re-activating the profile,
however it does not a full re-activation. As such, it may be less
disruptive. For example, if your device is a bridge (with vlan devices
on top of it), a full `nmcli connection up "$BRIDGE_PROFILE"` needs to
destroy all the vlans on top, and unenslave all slaves from the bridge.
That's pretty disruptive. `nmcli device reapply` wouldn't.

However, you can also reapply certain changes, like an IP address but
not a MAC address change. It would simply fail if the changes are too
invasive.

Yes, it's not unlike `nmcli device modify $DEVICE`.

For example,

   nmcli connection up "$PROFILE" ifname "$DEVICE"
   nmcli connection modify "$PROFILE" +ipv4.addresses 192.168.77.5/24
   nmcli device reapply "$DEVICE"

is basically the same as:

   nmcli connection up "$PROFILE" ifname "$DEVICE"
   nmcli connection
modify "$PROFILE" +ipv4.addresses 192.168.77.5/24
   nmcli device modify
"$DEVICE" +ipv4.addresses 192.168.77.5/24

best,
Thomas