On Fri, 2018-10-26 at 20:14 +0200, Thomas HUMMEL wrote:
> On 10/25/2018 03:47 PM, Thomas Haller wrote:
> > For example,
> >
> >     nmcli connection up "$PROFILE" ifname "$DEVICE"
> >     nmcli connection modify "$PROFILE" +ipv4.addresses
> > 192.168.77.5/24
> >     nmcli device reapply "$DEVICE"
> >
> > is basically the same as:
> >
> >     nmcli connection up "$PROFILE" ifname "$DEVICE"
> >     nmcli connection
> > modify "$PROFILE" +ipv4.addresses 192.168.77.5/24
> >     nmcli device modify
> > "$DEVICE" +ipv4.addresses 192.168.77.5/24
>
> Got it. I guess that's what you meant by your cloned/invisible
> live-in-ram active profile previously.
> My understanding now is that device modify just modify an internal
> copy
> of the profile and then automatically calls apply on it, correct ?

Yes.

  `nmcli device modify` modifies the internal copy of the profile and
makes the modifications happen.

while

  `nmcli device reapply` modifies the internal copy to be the same as
the current "normal" profile which is activated on the device (in case
it differs after a `nmcli connection modify`), and then makes the
configuration happen.

They are quite similar in nature.

"makes it happen" means to apply the settings. For example, restarting
DHCP, adding/removing IP addresses, etc. In practice, this mostly
applies to IP configuration, because lower layer changes (like the MAC
address) require a full re-activation cycle, which device-reapply and
device-modify refuse to do.

best,
Thomas