The xterm color and color xterm commands work OK (seem to do the same thing),
and I found I could get colour with my spartan program when I forced the
X-server to deliver 16 bit colour. However I'm still getting the aforementioned
error about fonts, (see below, the remote computer is bohr):
bohr 1% spartan
bohr 2% Warning: Unmatched quotation marks in string "", any remaining fonts in list
unparsed
Warning: Unmatched quotation marks in string "", any remaining fonts in list unparsed
Also the way my words come out in the color-xterm is very strange - the spacing
of letters and words is very erratic. Anyway, thanks for your help, things are
getting better. Tom