Dear folks:
I originally sent this message on Christmas Day so I guess nobody had
the time to pay any attention to it. Another Mandrake user ("ndk
{Ralph}" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) indicated that he was having similar
problems to my own. I hope that someone can take a look at these
questions now (I have added a fourth). Thanks in advance and Happy
Holidays!

------------------------------
Dear folks:
I wish everyone the best of holidays.

I am new at Linux/KDE. I just installed Mandrake 5.2 and everything
works
fine except
for the following:
1) I can't even begin to configure PPP because pppd is not compiled in
the kernel
(I ran dmesg). I have no experience recompiling kernels (why on Earth
isn't PPP
compiled in the kernel anyway?!?), but tried to follow the directions in

the
official installation instructions for RedHat 5.0. All of the following
commands
fail:
  make xconfig;
  make config;
  make menuconfig;
  make mrproper.
When I try to run these commands I get complaints about some target not
being
found;

2) How do I go about configuring sound? Do I have to compile that into
the kernel
too...? I have a soundblaster compatible card;
I should mention the following:
i) I have an ESS AudioDrive 1869 soundblaster 16 compatible card;
ii) upon running sndconfig I get the message ``error accessing
dev/audio''.

3) The CD player (generic 32x IDE device) worked fine during install,
but during a
Linux session I cannot
 i) manually open and close the CD tray;
 ii) mount the CD-ROM drive. Actually I sometimes can mount the CD-ROM
drive; but I still cannot manually open and close the CD tray. But it
works fine in that other operating system we have all grown to
dislike...

4) I tried minicom and echo but cannot get any response from my modem
under Linux. I correctly configured the modem using the RedHat
``control-panel'' dialog, but I still cannot get a response.

I am sure the answers to these questions are stupidly simple, but I have

been
racking my brain all evening and cannot seem to get anywhere.

Thanks in advance for all of your help
Happy Holidays and best wishes
Idris