"James J. Capone" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>                Ok here is the Thing. I am going to purchase a new Hard
> drive for my system sometime this week. When I get it I am going to run
> Linux on the old one I have. I have a Compaq Presario 2240 with a 2.1 gig
> drive. Right now I have it partitions so the Linux Mandrake uses 1.1 gigs
> of space and Win95 uses the other 1 gig. Well I am running out of space on
> the drive. I am going to be getting a 4 gig drive that I am going to have
> Win95 on (I have a Wife and 2 kids, They don't understand Linux YET) So
> what I am going to do is run Linux on the 2.1 gig drive. I think Mandrake
> will like the extra space don't you?? :)  What I need to know is how I am
> to set it up. Will Disk Druid and the Setup see the other HD, and Beable to
> modify the MBR for LILO/LEELO ???

All of it should go pretty easily.  Here's how I'd go about it:

1)  Create a boot disk for Linux and ensure that it works correctly.
Write down what partition number the root of the Linux drive is
(/dev/hda2, etc).

2)  Edit /etc/fstab and modify the partition information so it reflects
the moving of the drive (ie, if it's currently hda1, modify that to
hdb1, etc).

3)  Move the Linux disk to slave on the primary IDE controller (hdb) and
put the new drive as master on the primary controller.

3)  Install Windows on the new harddrive.

4)  Boot Linux with your boot floppy and use the root= LILO option.

        LILO:  linux root=/dev/hdb1             # for example, use the partition
                                                # number you wrote down in (1)

5)  Edit /etc/lilo.conf and modify the root= lines in the Linux
stanzas.  Insert a stanza for dual-booting into Windows (although, if
you've already got Windows, it'll probably already be there...)

6)  Run /sbin/lilo to update the boot record (this will install it onto
the new drive).

7)  Reboot the machine and let LILO boot from the hard drive to ensure
everything works and all the other partitions are mounting correctly.

Hope it all goes well!  Ask if you need more info.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]