At 21:35 16/04/99 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
|----- snip for brevity -----
|help, I am very new to this.  I used fips to repartition my drive, booted up
|the installation,
|but when i get to disk druid i can't seem to set my root partition.
|says....boot partition
|too big. I can set any other partition but the root. Windows is taking up
|space in the first
|2 gigs of my drive.  I have 6 gig drive and windblows is using fat32
|filesystem. Is fat32 my
|problem?  I've heard Fat32 is a pain in the butt, can someone tell me how to
|redo it
|in Fat16. Nothing on the windows partition is life critical or anything so i
|can start over
|if i have to.
|----- snip for brevity -----

Did you use LBA for this disk? Probably, that's the problem. At 2 GB,
Linux is installed over 1024 cylinder. I use 6 GB drive, and Windoze
takes first 4 GB (1 GB FAT 16 for boot and data files, 3 GB FAT32 for
programs) and didn't had problems with it. Linux run perfectly, and
read both partitions flawlessly.

Note that, changing Harddisk from (Normal, CHS or LBA) will probably
render your partition unusable. You'll had to redo all over again. If
you change it and use FDISK to recreate a new partitions, you cannot
create a FAT16 and FAT32 from one session. Create the primary first,
answering no to large disk support, reboot. Run FDISK again, if you
need FAT32 for bigger partitions. FAT16 only make sense if you create
less than 1 GB partition. Also, if you LBA, check yes to linear support
at the end of Mandrake installation.

---------
Irsan SPS