Steve,

I appreciate your wanting to help.  I feel at this time very frustrated
with Linux.  I have Mandrake 5.3 installed and (hoping) that everything
installed is as it should be.
Anyway, I have a program called ProSplitter and the file name is:
splitv20x_tar.gz.  It is currently on a floppy and the one thing that I do
know how to do is get it dropped onto my desktop.  All this in KDE.  It is
at this point that I am stopped.
I have noticed that a person can click on a filename on the desktop and it
unzips (or untars) at this point, but I suspect that this is not the way to
do the job, but if it were, what do I do next?  Do I change to root and try
to find the new directory.  I have clicked on the setup files, and for the
most part they come back with what I think is an error telling me that I
cannot do that on local something.  I don't remember the wording.  There
always seems to be more than one .setup file with different name
endings.  How does one know which one to use to create the directory?  Or
does unzipping the file create a directory?  My husband and I have three
books on Linux and I just don't find what I need to learn this or I am not
understanding what I am looking at.  BTW, I never understood all the
commands in DOS either.  Was quite grateful for Windows at the time 5 years
ago.  I really do want to understand what I am doing in Linux but I am very
confused by it all.

Linda Hatch