On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 09:09:46AM -0700, Linda & Mike wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I appreciate your wanting to help.  I feel at this time very frustrated
> with Linux.  I have Mandrake 5.3 installed and (hoping) that everything
> installed is as it should be.
> Anyway, I have a program called ProSplitter and the file name is:
> splitv20x_tar.gz.  It is currently on a floppy and the one thing that I do
> know how to do is get it dropped onto my desktop.  All this in KDE.  It is
> at this point that I am stopped.

Open a terminal (the monitor looking icon on the bottom panel), and type:

        cd Desktop

Then type:

        tar zxvf splitv20x_tar.gz

This will open the tarball, probably creating a new directory.  'cd' to that
directory and check for a README or INSTALL file for more instructions.

> I have noticed that a person can click on a filename on the desktop and it
> unzips (or untars) at this point, but I suspect that this is not the way to
> do the job, but if it were, what do I do next?  Do I change to root and try

I think that only lets you see what's inside the package.  Not sure,
however.

> to find the new directory.  I have clicked on the setup files, and for the
> most part they come back with what I think is an error telling me that I
> cannot do that on local something.  I don't remember the wording.  There

Exact error messages would be more helpful, but I have a feeling that it's
probably just about your normal user not having permissions to install into
the directory you're trying to install into.

> always seems to be more than one .setup file with different name
> endings.  How does one know which one to use to create the directory?  Or
> does unzipping the file create a directory?  My husband and I have three

Typically, untarring the package will create a new directory containing the
package.  After that, you'll have to rely on the instructions that the
author of the program included.

> books on Linux and I just don't find what I need to learn this or I am not
> understanding what I am looking at.  BTW, I never understood all the
> commands in DOS either.  Was quite grateful for Windows at the time 5 years
> ago.  I really do want to understand what I am doing in Linux but I am very
> confused by it all.

I know this is going to sound bad, but have you considered picking up some
basic Linux/Unix books?  Linux for Dummies, Idiots Guide to Linux, Running
Linux, etc. might be good choices at this point for you.

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]